Aug 14, 2012

Social Interaction

"Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings." — Miles Franklin

Social interaction is a basic need of humans, and an especially difficult one to meet as a caregiver for someone with dementia.  With all the responsibilities that go along with caregiving, it is difficult to work in fun and interconnectedness.  We have lost some or most of the relationship we had with the person who now has dementia, and tasks may prevent us from meeting those needs elsewhere.  One way I have met my need for support is with phone calls.  I have traded services with a life coach, so that I have an hour devoted each week to having someone to listen to me.  One of the aspects of dementia is a folding-in-upon oneself, so that the person is not as aware of the well being of those around him or her.  We can meet the need to be listened to by trading services with a life coach.  I would suggest you choose a life coach who has completed a certified program and one who is willing to provide services by phone, since it is very difficult for caregivers to get away.  One of the most valuable sources of support I have created for myself has been this hour where I have someone to talk with, who is there just to listen to and support me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment