Jan 26, 2013

Listening with Compassion

"If you want to be truly understood, you need to say everything three times, in three different ways. Once for each ear . . . . and once for the heart." Paula Underwood Spencer

An interesting thought.  I would add that we also each need a listener who can listen with nonjudgment.  The idea of needing to say everything three times might help in understanding why people have to revisit an incident of trauma more than once in order to be healed.  Maybe they need to talk about it at least three times.  I am a processor, and I find that I do need to process something more than once in order to sort it out for myself, AND I need to have a listener who can accept what I am saying without judgment.  It seems that this is perhaps a human need: the need to say something out loud, and to be heard by someone who can accept and support what we have to say.  As caregivers, we undoubtedly serve as that kind of listener for the person for whom we provide care.  As caregivers, we also need that kind of a person to listen to us.  I hope you have at least one person in your life who will listen to you with both ears and their heart.  You deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment