Jan 28, 2013

Optimism is Best Medicine

"Life and disease coexist, each moving in tandem.  Optimism is the best medicine.  Eat simply, live simply, but above all, be optimistic." Dr. Ho Shixiu

A lovely article in the February Prevention Magazine about a Chinese herbalist, Dr. Ho, who mixes his own teas for remedies.  According to the article, people travel thousands of miles to meet with this 90-year old man at the base of the Himalayas in the Yunnan Province.  Most of us probably will not be able to travel to China to meet with Dr. Ho, but we can practice what he says is the best medicine of all:  optimism.  One way to know how optimistic we are is to notice our thoughts around any given situation:  are we more likely to expect the best outcome?  or do we fear the worst outcome?  You may be like me in that I vacillate.  Usually I am able to expect the best outcome, but there are times when I am inexplicably anxious about a situation --- which it seems must mean I am expecting a poor outcome or process.   It can be a practice for us all to look for the evidence that our lives are unfolding as they should be, and that we can expect that to continue.  For today, what is one sign that your life is good?  For me, we are having a mild and beautiful winter day, people I love are doing well, the care receiver is in a safe place, and I serendipitously found a way to save on insurance.  A good day, with more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment