Jan 12, 2013

Obligation To Do What Is Right

"The only obligation which I have a right to assume, is to do at any time what I think is right." Henry Thoreau

Thoreau wrote this in his discourse on Civil Disobedience.  According to Maslowe's Hierarchy, this thinking would put Thoreau at the highest level of moral development:  doing what one determines is right.  It is how I try to lead my life, and it has sometimes put me into conflict with others.  Moving Dwane into assisted living is one example.  There are those people who criticized me (of note:  these were also the people who were willing in no way to help provide personal assistance); but I knew it was the right thing:  for Dwane's safety and for my own health.  In trying to keep him in our regular world, which he wanted, he fell three times and also sustained a head injury.  My own health was being damaged by the stress of his unwillingness to accept support from paid staff instead of me.  It seems that it is important to consider what Thoreau says, "The only obligation I have is to do what I think is right."  What is right for you?  Not what do others want you to do, but what is really right for you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment