Dec 30, 2014

Considering Our Beliefs

"If something is not true and we believe it, we will tend to see ourselves and the world through the lens of that belief." Rev. Dr. Jim Lockard

Beliefs are very, very powerful.  Most of the quality of our lives is based on our beliefs, and most of those beliefs are unconscious -- so we are not even aware of what is directing our lives.  Each of us integrated beliefs as we were growing up.  Some of those beliefs are supportive of who we are, and some are very much not.  Being with my siblings sometimes gives me insight into what some of my beliefs are, of which I am unaware.  Beliefs about our role as caregiver can also shape how and what we do in that role.  I had a belief that I could do it --- I could manage taking care of my loved one at home -- and, even, that that was the right thing to do.  I have my daughter to thank and a close friend for helping me see that caring for my loved one at home was killing me.  While it is sad that someone we love has a terminal illness, it is imperative that we not allow that illness to take us too.  As caregivers we are responsible for respectful, appropriate care for our loved one -- in whatever form best suits him/her and us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment