Jun 30, 2012

A Good Book

"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier”  Kathleen Norris

I love to read, and I just finished the first novel of Tatjana Soli, The Lotus Eaters.  The novel is a blend of fact and fiction and set in Vietnam during the Vietnam War.  That war was a large part of my young adult years.  The people I went to college with were returning war veterans.  I dated a young man who had served in the secret service, and I was friends with someone who had been a Green Beret.  I did not see the anti-war protests personally --- just on television, because the rural area in which I grew up did not join in the demonstrations of derision; but it was obvious the pain and confusion experienced by these returning vets to the country they had served.  This book is a well- written story, fiction but based on some actual events.  As caregivers for someone with dementia, we need ways that we can bring pleasure and relief to ourselves.  Not much for television or crafts or needlework, I find entertainment in reading.  That was something Dwane and I always had in common:  our love of books and reading. 

What are the ways that you find relaxation and rejuvenation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment