Jul 7, 2012

Being Happy Where We Are

"So often we imagine that There is more full of gold than Here." Mark Nepo

It is tempting to think that grass is greener on the other side of the fence.  I sometimes smile when I see cattle or horses straining through a fence to get at grass on the other side; grass that looks just the same to me as the grass at their feet.  We humans, too, can think that life would be better -- if.  If this, or if that.  When respected thinkers tell us to stay in the moment or follow our bliss, perhaps a piece of what they are telling us is to be happy where we are.  That does not mean, in my opinion, that we complacently accept some adverse conditions; but it does mean that we look for what is good and right in our life.  I took Dwane out for dinner on our wedding anniversary, and I was touched by his noticing the love and support he has in the cards received and displayed on his side table.  As he processes what the neuropsychologist told us, it seems it is bringing out a softer, more appreciative side of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment