Jul 20, 2012

Being True to Oneself

"There's no one alive who is Youer than You." Dr. Seuss

I love Dr. Seuss's playful way with words.  His books were some of my favorites when I read my children their nightly story.  I loved bedtime.  Tucking each child in and reading to them books of their choice.  It always puzzled me when parents had trouble getting their children to go to bed.  At our house going to bed was a fun, connecting, relaxing ritual.  I tried never to miss it.  When I think back over my life and all the wonderful things I have experienced and the ways in which I feel I have made a positive difference in the world, the greatest legacy I will leave is being a part of bringing my two extraordinary children (now adults) into the world.  Their legacy is already far more than mine.  They both seem so good at being themselves.  I am so grateful they are a part of my life.  When there are times that I struggle with being myself, I look to them as models. 

"Each of us is different, or we frankly wouldn't be necessary.  When we try to change or control others, it's because we've momentarily lost grasp on the reins of managing our own lives and reach misguidedly for the reins of others.  A world that works for everyone is, in large part, a world where all people mind their own business, because their own business is enthralling enough to them that they can both live and let live."  Dr. Jesse Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment