Jul 18, 2012

Bison

"Bison meat is very lean, with about one-third the fat of skinless chicken breast meat.  It contains exceptional levels of protein, minerals and essential fatty acids." North Dakota State University

When we think of eating with health in mind, if you are a meat eater, you might want to check out bison.  I switched to bison with the arrival of mad cow disease -- I am not advocating that others do that, but just suggesting that bison is a healthy alternative to other meats.  I have been hungry for chili (yes, even with this record-setting heat), and I made a pot of homemade chili to simmer while I paid bills and took care of correspondence this afternoon.  The chili will be a nice alternative to the salad dinners I have been having.  Another healthy choice, that I often slice and have with a salad, is eggs.  I buy organic eggs from an indoor farmer's market.  I enjoy the fact that a nine-year old girl in the region cares for the chickens and sells the eggs.  I bring several of them to a boil, take the pan off the heat and leave covered for about twenty minutes, and then use them for egg salad sandwiches and for slicing on top of my green salad.  Eggs are an excellent source of nutrition:  6 grams protein and significant amounts of B vitamins, vitamin A, vitamin E, iron, zinc, iodine and selenium -- for only about 70 calories per egg.  As caregivers we have many demands on our time.  It is important to make nutrition as easy as possible so that it is not just one more burden on our overly-stretched time.

No comments:

Post a Comment