Jul 22, 2012

CSA's: Community Supported Agriculture

Over the last 20 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables."  www.localharvest.org/csa

As caregivers we need to find easy ways for us to have nutritious food for ourselves and for the person for whom we provide care.  Gardening may not be an option for you, either because of space or time required, but a local CSA might be an option.  I have joined one.  For $300 a year I get a box of fresh, local produce from late June to October.  I love getting the box.  It is like a treasure hunt -- to see what is in the box this week.  The produce is picked that day, it is organic, and it is delicious.  I have been exposed to things I have never tasted; like bok choy flowers (spicy and delicious on top of salad), and rainbow chard (delicious slightly wilted in olive oil).  I love the idea of the CSA.  I am helping them pay for seeds and the other expenses of having greenhouses and gardens, and I am also getting locally-grown, nutritious vegetables.  Turnips that one can eat like an apple, dark green lettuces.  Just lovely.  CSA's have grown more popular.  There might be one in your area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment