Nov 8, 2013

Yoga

"Practicing yoga for 20 minutes a day is better than aerobic exercise for increasing your focus and your ability to learn new things." U. of Illinois study

The older we get, it seems the more the need for flexibility and strength exercises.  The mat in my shower slipped under my feet recently (I bought the mat to prevent slipping!!!), which reminded me how important it is to prevent falls.  Yoga and other types of exercises help with the diminishing balance we have as we get older.  In addition to keeping our balancing skills sharp, we also need the core strength to move our bodies and the flexibility to do the things we want to do.  It is often necessary for me to assist the care receiver out of chairs, and that takes strength and balance.  What do you do to improve your balance, strength and flexibility?  Water aerobics is a favorite way of mine, and I find that I get lots of opportunity for snow shoveling --- which can help with strength.  When I am shoveling, I choose to enjoy the beautiful blue sky, clean air, sunshine, birds singing, and the creek babbling along --- that way, it is exercise; not work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment