Sep 29, 2011

Cultivating spirituality

"You can be spiritual by reflecting on your own life and its purpose, and connecting it to something larger than yourself, whether through religious worship, art, music or the natural world." Mayo Clinic Health Newsletter.

Finding meaning in life seems to be a timeless goal for humanity.  Many find that meaning through religion, but it can also be found through determining a purpose for your life and following that purpose.  Although I was raised in a particular religion, for which I am grateful -- for its foundation, I would now consider myself more spiritual than religious.  For me, determining God's plan for my life and living up to that plan are paramount.  Finding meaning in my life is part of my orientation.  Recently I said to a friend that I wanted to learn what was here for me to learn from encountering caregiving for dementia in my life.  She said that she did not think we were here to learn something.  It does not matter which of us is right, or if either of us is.  Part of my orientation is to learn from my experiences and become a better person because of the learning.  It helps me have meaning in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment