Sep 8, 2011

Heaven is here

"All the way to heaven is heaven," Saint Catherine of Siena.

Another quote from a respected mind telling us that heaven is right here, right now.  How do we reconcile this idea with the weather extremes earth is currently experiencing, the global economic upheaval, the threats of terrorism -- even more prominent with 9/11 coming up?  One way I reconcile this idea is by noticing what I notice in a single day.  Do I notice that Dwane complained (and, yes, sometimes I do)?  Do I notice that I felt left out in a social gathering?  Do I notice a body ache or pain?  Or, do I notice the beautiful fall morning, the level of health in my body, the abundance of produce this time of year, the serenity of my home? 

What if it is as simple as that?   Making heaven here right now by deliberately paying attention to the good and the blessings in our life.  If Victor Frankl can marvel at a flower in the midst of a concentration camp, surely we can find the beauty in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment