Sep 18, 2011

Living deliberately

“I went to the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived” Henry David Thoreau

People wonder at our living out in the woods, at high altitudes with its short seasons (except perhaps winter!) and high amounts of snow; but we both love it.  And, for me, it has provided the opportunity to live deliberately.  So, too, has being the caregiver for someone with dementia provided the setting for me to live deliberately.  No longer am I much distracted by the exterior world and all of its drama.  I am able to live more in the current moment.  That is not to say there is not drama within the dementia caregiving, but, I think, a lot of our human drama is self created.  Some people even seem to thrive on drama.  Not me.  I love serenity, harmony, beauty and well being.  What qualities inspire you?

No comments:

Post a Comment