Apr 19, 2012

Assisted Living

"The tree coming into spring teaches us how to let go into renewal.  For this is how the freeze around a broken heart thaws." Mark Nepo

Poignant quotation and very true currently for Dwane and me.  With doctor's orders Dwane has moved into assisted living.  The decision broke both his heart and mine, but was necessary as it was no longer possible to maintain safety for him at home.  4 injuries in 3 weeks -- even with my presence or family or paid supervision.  3 falls and a walk into an open door, sustaining a gash in his forehead.  Helping him move into assisted living was the hardest thing I have ever done; and the adjustment is tremendous for both of us.  I know there will be people who judge me harshly for this step, as I will also have to live with some of my own judgments about it. 
Once we have been delivered the diagnosis of Lewy Bodies Dementia there are no optimal options.  I want us all to remember that we are doing the best we can given this life circumstance.  The best we can do is continue to assess the status of the situation and make the best decisions for each of us involved.  There have been times during this that I have felt that it is so unfair.  He is such a good man and did not deserve this.  Nor did I.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you always ALWAYS remember that you did the very best you could to care for Dwane.
    His safety is paramount and although heartbreaking to have to move him, it was the best care you could give him. There is nothing wrong with doing the right thing.
    Please be gentle on yourself in this decision.
    It does not matter what others think, they don't live your life or that of Dwane.

    You role as caregiver becomes new. Now you advocate with less stress and more determination to make sure he lives out the rest of his days with love and dignity.
    Your mind and body can rest and be up to it.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you. Prayers that you will experience some peace for your mind, heart and rest for your body.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete