Apr 23, 2012

Self Care

"Our most important focus during times of stress is taking care of ourselves. We are better able to cope with the most irregular circumstances; we are better able to be there for others if we're caring for ourselves. We can ask ourselves regularly: What do we need to do to take care of ourselves." Melody Beattie

I am not sure there is a time of no stress in caregiving; there are just times of less and/or more stress.  Self care must be a part of our regular routine.   Believe me, I know you are overstretched with time commitments and responsibilities, but it is imperative that you have a system of self care scheduled every day.  Each of us will be different, but for me the early hours of the morning are a daily self-care time for me.  That is the time for my journaling, reading inspirational books, prayer and meditation.  The end of the day is another time.  I put on a meditative cd to help me sleep and to feed my subconscious with positive and nurturing thoughts.  Daily exercise is part of my self care, and I was able to manage walks while I had the care receiver settled down with a book or tv.  Others things, like yoga and massage treatments, take more scheduling and happen only when that support service is in place.  What is self care for you, and how can you implement daily and other regular practices within your life and schedule as a caregiver?  Whether you provide 24/7 care, or you pay for services to come into your home, or adult day care, or assisted living:  you will still have stress and responsibilities, and self care is critical.

No comments:

Post a Comment