Apr 30, 2012

Question for Readers

Drooling.  One of the most humiliating aspects of Lewy Bodies Dementia for Dwane is the excessive drooling.  We have asked physicians about it.  What we can do, can it be prevented, etc. to no avail.  So, I am asking the wise readers of this blog.  What do you do about the drooling?  The things we have tried:  antihistamine, but that makes him sleepy and he already has narcolepsy with which to contend/ waterproof pads on mattresses and pillows, but that does not stop him getting all wet at night/having him carry 2 handkerchiefs to use to wipe up the drool.  There must be something more helpful than any of these.  I would appreciate ideas from any of you.  You can either comment on this blog or email me at jklifecoach2@gmail.com   Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Drooling isn't an issue with Hubby but a runny nose is. From everything I have read and studied about Lewy Body, these issues are unfortunately part of the disease process. I'm a member of a spousal caregiver site for Lewy Body and this topic is not uncommon.
    Hubby takes an antihistamine also, it doesn't seem to make him any sleepier than his normal. Perhaps Dwane's Dr could find another that is non drowsy. Hubby takes Loratadine. He continues to have the issue but not as pronounced.
    Here's a thought, does Dwane wear dentures? If so, perhaps they are an improper fit? That could also contribute. I'm taking a wild guess here.
    As far as pads and covers, I make sure that they are not the plastic covers. I found some very nice waterproof pillow and mattress covers at overstock. They don't crinkle and they feel soft. They also don't make you sweat and they wash well.

    I wish I had better suggestions for you both.

    ReplyDelete