Apr 7, 2012

Suffering

"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." Michel de Montaigne

Suffering seems to be part of the human experience, but I also believe the above quote is true.  When I dread telling Dwane of a new level of support I am implementing or that I will be gone for a short time, that dreading is creating suffering for myself.   Is it possible to develop thick enough skin where we do not allow the care receiver's opposition to affect us?  I think that is easier for some people than others.  I have been told that I am too sensitive.  Perhaps that is true, and if so, it is both an asset and a liability.  I would not want to diminish my capacity for compassion, but I would like to temper my tendency to be affected by other's disapproval.  The answer seems to me to make our decisions based on what is best for all (thereby eliminating some aspects of our own ego), and then to be at peace with those decisions.  There is enough suffering; we don't need to create it for ourselves by fearing or dreading what may or may not come.

No comments:

Post a Comment