Jan 12, 2010

Being right

My daughter asked me this morning if I thought it was ever justified to be right; I believe she meant this in the context of someone proving someone else wrong. Her comment gives me insight into some current discouragement. I have had two recent conversations with people who have a very high need to be right. I notice in retrospect that style of approach can hook me into feeling misunderstood and trying to have them see my perspective. And no wonder, as my family of origin put a high value on being right. I can thank Dave Ellis who wrote, Falling Awake, for my new position with this. He has the statement: "Make the other person right." It is amazing how much more intimate, loving, comfortable and truly stimulating my conversations are when I refuse to be seduced into making myself right and/or someone else wrong. That is why I strive for conversations with like-minded people who also are wanting the best for themselves and others. I do not want to waste my time justifying how or why I am doing something. I don't want to waste my time judging or being judged. How very freeing and good to remember. I thank my daughter for the comment which I can apply so appropriately again to my life. All is well. There is no reason to judge myself or anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. I am a bit confused about the right and wrong issue. Is there not such a thing as right and wrong? Perhaps you are confusing these words with truth and untruth. Some things are, in fact, true although not necessarily right. Right?

    ReplyDelete