Jan 3, 2010

Fog

Today the dawn was clear, but soon fog began to ascend, climbing toward us. We must be experiencing another inversion. Yesterday when I went skiing up in the high country, it was clear, beautful and considerably warmer than down here. It was lovely to see the fog ascend over the valley coming up to this house, our winter home. Whoever designed this development did it wisely. One really cannot see any of the other houses; therefore, there is no need for window coverings. The fog leaves in its wake beautiful hoar frost on the trees and shrubs. Now fog is surrounding the house; it is lovely to see the actual movement of the water vapors in the air. Perhaps a life metaphor.

At the beginning of a new decade I find myself thinking of what to let go of from the past, and what to focus on for the present and future. I do not want my past to be as the fog, creeping over and obscuring the present. I want to choose freely; considering this a new day with new possibilities. A reading this morning (author Father Romanus Cessario, O.P.) said that spiritual giants of the past accepted the classical notion of the friend as the other half of one's soul. Thinking along those lines, what gifts do I want to bestow upon and receive from the friend who is the other half of my soul? One gift I intend is to not worry about the future. "T'aint worthwhile to wear a day all out before it comes," Sarah Orne Jewett. And wasn't it Mark Twain who said that most of the things he spent the most time worrying about never happened?

I had trouble sleeping last night, thinking (worrying) about things needing done. I intend to not waste time in that way in the future. Even with Dwane's dementia -- one day at a time. In the present moment, all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment