Jan 7, 2010

Optimism

"For as he thinketh in his heart so is he" Proverbs 23.7.

A dear friend asked me yesterday if I am always as optimistic as I write in my blog entries, and my answer to her was "yes". Of course, some disappointing and/or upsetting things do occur, as in anyone's life, but my practice is to dwell on, to focus on what is going right in my life, rather than what is going wrong. I seem to have the unusual attribute (some might call it annoying) of dealing very directly with things. I face into what life has presented, consider all my options with what is presented, choose a path of action and move on. Specifically, with this diagnosis of Dementia with Lewy Bodies: I "knew" something was very, very wrong before we got the diagnosis. In fact, it was my advocacy to seek medical attention that resulted in the diagnosis. Once we had the diagnosis, from what is arguably the best source in the world - Mayo Clinic, then I read all I could about this diagnosis so that we could deal with it the best possible way. It seemed best to me to combine methods, gather one's arsenal so to speak, so we also implemented the recommendations of a nontraditional healer (the holy tea) and the hypnotist. Dwane is doing far better than he was one year ago or even last summer, so I believe we are doing something right. Life, it is my experience, does not always hand us what we expect; and sometimes what is handed to us is in a very unattractive package. It is my belief that the experience is meant, nevertheless, to be a gift. I look for the gift and the learning in any situation. I have always found them.

I am so grateful for the wonderful adventure of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment