Jan 9, 2010

Shame

I have always thought of shame in negative connotations, and have supported the notion of others that shame is the basis for many addictions. I am reading an interesting novel recommended by a friend, "An Instance of the Fingerpost", and a quote of one of the characters in the book caught my eye, "Shame, I do believe, is the most powerful emotion known to man; most discoveries and journeys of importance have been accomplished because of the ignominy that would be the result if the attempt was abandoned." While I am not sure I agree completely with the idea of shame being the motivating aspect of ambition and progress, I do think it is helpful to look at both the positive and negative aspects of a characteristic like shame. Rather than trying to get rid of shame, perhaps a more helpful approach is to see how it has added value to one's life. Worth pondering perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment