Jan 8, 2010

Self care

An interesting take on the necessity of self care: "As all is Mind, and as we attract to us what we first become, until we learn to love, we are not sending out love vibrations , and not until we send out those vibrations can we receive love in return," Science of Mind, p 298. While not everyone may be comfortable with the idea of "vibrations and/or attracting", that does not preclude the truth of what appears to be a fact; that we cannot emanate what we have not become.

The author, Leta Miller, takes this idea toward loving oneself enough to indulge oneself with self care. She advocates good nutrition, exercise, time alone, fun. Perhaps more interesting are what she cites as ways we deny ourselves self care: illness, bad temper, too many commitments, inability to complete tasks, depression, accidents, among others. It is a good list to be mindful of. While it is, in my opinion, always a good idea to have healthy self regard, it is imperative for me while I am providing care for someone with a terminal illness.

So how am I doing in self care? Pretty good. I have eliminated most commitments by putting my professional life on the shelf. I have a wonderful circle of supportive friends who love me. I plan fun: I am going to brunch with two friends tomorrow and skiing with my daughter on Sunday. I exercise daily by having a goal of walking 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) and doing some strength building at least three times a week (yesterday I shoveled snow for 1 hour). I provide service by gifting my life coaching/spiritual direction services; and I accept the coaching and spiritual direction from someone I greatly admire. I am generous with donations to situations/persons. I talk regularly with dear, dear friends, a way in which I purposely surround myself with people who are capable of being loving, positive and supportive. It is a high priority for me to stay in good connection with my children and their families, and I follow that up with the action of "showing up". I am very mindful of nutrition and prepare tasty and nutritious meals. I spend time every day in spiritual reading and reflection. Yes, I am doing pretty well right now.

1 comment:

  1. So,where does that leave time for being a "caregiver"? I notice that role is conspicuous in its absence.

    ReplyDelete