Jan 16, 2010

Respite

I want to address the urgency of respite for the caregiver, since a person commented on how I could go skiing when he/she could not leave the person with dementia. It is my opinion that it is critical for the person giving care to have breaks, and of course, these must be done with the safety of the person with dementia in mind. I know Dwane is fine if I am fine, I need breaks to be fine, so I arrange to have breaks. There are respite services one can pay for, like Comfort Keepers. One of my favorite ways I provide myself respite is that I exchange life coaching for the person being here with Dwane. I give her life coaching; she gives me respite. There are many such exchanges one could do. In fact, they are probably only as limited as our imagination.

Readers: what ways have you found to have care for the person with dementia so that you can have a break. My intention with this blog is to have a forum of support and information. Please do not use this blog as a place to express anger or disapproval. We are all doing the best we can, and we can manage even better by sharing good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment