Jan 11, 2010

Peace

"Breath is the lifeforece itself. Control of breath is the cornerstone for health," Dr. Joan Borysenko. Dr. Borysenko goes on to say how we can use the control of our breath to enter into deeply relaxed states, citing meditation. It seems whatever takes one to a deeply relaxed state (without use of drugs or alcohol) is beneficial. Meditation, being immersed in a creative process, deep and intimate connection with another human or animal or nature, prayer, reading of good material. All are good ways to leave the anxieties of the world and return to a state of peace and relaxed body and mind. It is so beneficial for one's health and overall well being. It is critical for me in living with someone with dementia. I especially need this practice when Dwane is not doing as well, such as now. An area of difficulty for me, because of my natural characteristic of handling things directly, is to try to handle something directly with Dwane. His immediate reaction is always to become very defensive. Something as simple as saying to him that I wish we could do something to make his hearing aids stop whistling, will bring out a defensive tirade from him. So, to keep peace, it seems I have to deal with things from an indirect manner, which is not my natural tendency. I miss having a true partner in addressing problems big and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment