May 20, 2011

Gardening

"Just 5 minutes of gardening improves both self-esteem and mood." Environmental Science & Technology study findings.

This year I had considered not gardening because I thought it might be just one more thing I had to do, but while I was out sifting the rich black dirt between my fingers, planting good-quality lettuce seeds, and enjoying and learning from a good friend in the garden, I knew planting a garden would be a nurturing activity for me -- not a depleting one.  And then I read of this research.  Tending a patch of earth also supports us in being more tranquil, generous and hopeful.  It restores our well being.  Plus, I get to look forward to nutritious organic produce in a few weeks. 

As dementia caregivers we can be stretched pretty thin.  Gardening may be an outlet that replenishes you.  It is worth considering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment