May 25, 2011

Serenity

"God give me the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference," Serenity Prayer.

This very familiar stalwart mantra of Twelve Step Programs can be applied to whatever situation we have in life, to include living with and caring for someone with dementia.  The trick, of course, is to know the difference between those things that are our responsibility or opportunity to change, and those things over which we really have no control.  For instance, the person with dementia for whom I provide care was reluctant to go on an invited excursion because of his drooling.  Well, I can do nothing about the drooling (it is part of Lewy Bodies Dementia -- or at least part of his) which we have brought up to Mayo Clinic and to our local doctor.  There seems to be no medical answer or remedy, so I cannot change this.  But what I can do is suggest that he takes a small hand towel in a pocket to address the drooling when it happens.  I can also offer him the inside seat so that he is less exposed to others' viewing.  These suggestions seemed to address his anxiety, and he is no longer reluctant to go.  What are the things in your life you can change?  And, what are the things in your life over which you have no control? 

No comments:

Post a Comment