May 29, 2011

Self knowledge

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom." Lao-tzu.

Being in the role of dementia caregiver can be an opportunity for self awareness.  I have years of training and experience at analyzing the behavior of others as well as myself, but this time of providing dementia caregiving is giving me a time, away from the world, for even deeper exploration of myself.  What a wondrous gift this time is.  Having said "yes" to witnessing the death of a loved one provides the opportunity for the gift of self knowledge.  Exterior distractions are not gone, but with my professional life largely on hold, the exterior distractions are greatly diminished.  I create time every day to further my self knowledge, which is - in my opinion - a spiritual path.  I have always loved Socrate's quote, "An unexamined life is not worth living."  I intend to have an examined life, and I am using this time of being a dementia caregiver to facilitate that.  What are you doing with your time today?

No comments:

Post a Comment