May 27, 2011

Legal considerations

"Dream as if you'll live forever.  Live as if you'll die today," James Dean.

The above quote seems ironic in that James Dean did die young.  I wonder if he considered the legal considerations of death.  As dementia caregivers, it is in our best interest to do so.  (Disclaimer:  I am not an attorney.  Please consult your attorney for legal matters.)  Each of us is undoubtedly in a different place with legal considerations for us and for the person for whom we provide care, but it seems prudent to at least have in place for the person with dementia, prior to them getting dementia:  a will , a durable power of attorney, and a living will.  Very fortunately, Dwane and I got these in place many years ago, and I am so grateful because -- one of the considerations we have as dementia caregivers is to make sure that the person diagnosed with dementia is not taken advantage of.  If you do not have these three documents in place, I suggest you consult an attorney for what is best for your situation.  I consult with an attorney regularly and consider this person part of my "team of support" for both Dwane and me.  This person keeps in mind what is best for both of us.  A Durable Power of Attorney seems to be a document that is important as we, as caregivers, make important decisions in consideration of the welfare of us both.  Has your legal counsel given you any other suggestions for maintaining fiscal integrity and well being?

No comments:

Post a Comment