Jul 30, 2011

Affecting our world

"Your greatest work will be done in  your own God-appointed channel."

Oh very, very true.  And, this work may not be just the obvious being the gracious, kind, compassionate beings that we are.  It may also be setting boundaries, not letting others take advantage of us or the person for whom we provide care, saying no to behavior we do not want, choosing relationships which encourage us.  Sometimes it is tempting to wish we could be called to do great work in the world, work that might make a difference for many.  But, I think, for most of us, the work we do and the impact we have - positive or not - will be in our own little worlds in the relationships closest to us, in our own communities.

I want to thank the people who have taken the time to make encouraging comments.  Oddly, the google function does not allow me to comment on the comments!?  It used to, but I can't seem to any more.  I also want to welcome new readers and to thank you who have been with me.  Thank you!  The support we give one another is so important. 

I just completed a training for some of my licensures on the brain and the effect of drugs on the brain.  Very interesting.  And I found myself applying the information to the damage the Dementia with Lewy Bodies is having on his brain.  Brain health is so important.  Let us, as caregivers, be sure to take care of our own brains with exercise, good nutrition to include omega 3, fun and relaxation, and keeping it free from toxins.  It can be tempting to use the socially-accepted drug, alcohol, to cope with the stresses of this caregiving, but that is a very, very dangerous road to tread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment