Jul 22, 2011

Pet Peeves

" I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." ... Charles M. Schulz

Pet peeves is a funny phrasing.  It implies that we have annoyances that serve us, that we nurture and enjoy.  Perhaps this is true.  I have been a long-time practitioner of identifying and accepting aspects of myself that I don't like or want to recognize; which otherwise results in projecting those aspects onto others.  Jung calls these the "shadow" aspects of oneself, and I do believe that what we do not recognize in ourselves is projected onto others:  those aspects we fear or dislike or even ones we admire.  So, how is it that I still have some pet peeves?   It creates an opportunity for further looking at myself, my intolerances; but in the meantime:  2 pet peeves:
1.  People who take up more than their share of the conversational space.
2.  People who tell me what to do.  This is different from people who reflect back to me, without any motives except my own best interest, aspects of myself or behaviors which are not serving me.  Like recently when two people who love me told me they were concerned about how stressed this caregiving was becoming for me.  One can tell the difference:  when one is being told something intended for one's own best interest and when one is being told something for other motivations.  It has always been very curious to me, that other people think they can know what is best for me or anyone else but themselves.  Even as a mental health practioner, I rarely give advice - even when asked.  It is, I think, a good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment