Jul 14, 2011

Being right

Rumi's field:  "Beyond right ideas & wrong ideas there is a field. I will meet you there." 

I often meet with clients who are adamant and entrenched about being right.  Perhaps it is easy for me to recognize because it was also a pattern of my family of origin.  A lot of energy went into being right.  There is a good side to that.  It fosters curiosity, learning, looking up answers, sometimes stimulating conversations.  And, there is a negative side to wanting to be right:  rigidity, closed-mindedness, arguing.  As in most qualities, it seems to me that taken to an extreme, there is danger; but in balance, there is life.  We all know the famous quote, "Would you rather be right or be happy?" by Jampolsky.  It is good to consider that question when one finds oneself becoming entrenched in an opinion, a belief, or a thought. 

Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?   A very good question for each of us to consider.  I would rather be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment