Jul 25, 2011

Being happy

"He that thinks himself the happiest man, really is so," Charles Caleb Colton.

Joanne McFadden cites some research (she does not say source) that 50% of happiness is from genetic disposition, 8-15% is from life circumstances and 40% is from attitude.    Hmmmmm.  I think we all know of people in difficult and impoverished conditions who are happy, and conversely we know or have read of people of wealth who are miserable.  So, at least 40% of our happiness is of our own choice.  I happen to think the number is even larger.  What can we do to be happy as dementia caregivers, or in whatever are our life circumstances?  One very effective tool is to focus on what is going right.  That includes focusing with our thoughts, our conversations, our actions.  It is one reason I avoid negative conversations or gossip.  They are detrimental to my own happiness (as well as dehumanizing whoever is topic of the negativity).  I pass along positive comments to their source, but I do not pass along negative information.  In essence, we can be happy largely by choice, regardless of our circumstances.  What is going right in your life right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment