Jul 11, 2011

Endurance

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish that He didn't trust me so much," Mother Teresa.

I always smile when I read this familiar quote; a play on words passed down to comfort someone in times of stress.  The idea that God does not give us anything we cannot handle is so often repeated, that perhaps it is true.  (Although I am certain we can each think of someone who took their own life presumably because life handed them more than they could handle.)

Being a dementia caregiver can sometimes seem more than one can handle.  I spoke with a friend whose husband has dementia, and she admitted that she was at the end of her rope.  So tired of having no life of her own.  It is so good to share support with others who are going through similar things, and to come up with ideas of how to manage it.  What can we do to handle this task of dementia caregiver which life or God has trusted us enough to handle?   One thing, I think, is to make sure we do not entirely give up our own lives. That may mean hiring assistance so that we can carry on the activities and joys which comprise our own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment