Jul 8, 2011

Having a vision or plan

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it," Michelangelo.

That seems true, and we can apply it to any area of our lives, to include being caregivers for someone with dementia.  The reason I chose the title for this blog as living graciously with dementia is to have a vision for how I wanted to be in this role as caregiver.  It has made all the difference to me that I know how I want to show up.  I could have had the goal of simply surviving this task, but that was not good enough.  I want to do more than survive; I want to thrive in the role and as a result of having done the role with graciousness.  Think of the people we can remember who had a dream they accomplished:  John F. Kennedy dreamed of putting a person on the moon; Martin Luther King, Jr. dreamed of a time when there would be no prejudice and injustice towards others because of race.  These are just two of the better known dreams of well-known people. 

One thing is true:  we are in this role of being a dementia caregiver (or whatever other role you are doing that presents challenges).  We can do it with a dream of how we want the process and outcome to look, or we can merely get by.  I have a dream.  I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment