Dec 16, 2012

Listening to the Stories of Others

"When was the last time you listened to the stories of others?" Question put to the sick by a Native American Medicine Man

At the recent holiday party at the assisted living center, I listened to a resident tell me how she had been homecoming queen in her high school.  As we get older, it seems we yearn for someone to listen to our stories.  And, listening to others' stories is the way of healing in the Twelve Step meetings.  It is in listening to how someone else is placing their feet to more fully stand in their lives, that we can be inspired to stand in our life too.  A dear friend recently emailed me that this blog was inspiration to her; that the subjects I covered seemed to be just the ones she needed to hear on any particular day.  I thank her for that feedback, and I think it is a gift we can give each other.  Having the courage to tell our story, so that others can be heartened to live their lives well; and, listening to the stories of others so that they feel validated.  We can be greatly instrumental in the healing of ourselves and each other by listening to each other's soul stories.  Thank you, dear readers, for listening to mine.  My hope for you is that you have someone to listen to yours.  You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment