Dec 15, 2012

Volunteering

"Only those who have learned the power of sincere and selfless contribution experience life's deepest joy:  true fulfillment."" Anthony Robbins

It is perhaps helpful to think of our caregiving as volunteering.  It may not be as glamorous as some types of volunteering.  A friend of mine is volunteering at Santa's Clearing House in North Pole, Alaska, to help disadvantaged children have a toy for Christmas.  We may feel that we did not even volunteer for this role of caregiving, and - indeed - we may not have.  Whether we have been cast into the role or we have chosen it, it might be helpful to our attitude to think of it as volunteering.  Today I spent the day helping Dwane wrap presents, send holiday cards, and then we attending the assisted living holiday party together.  There were a number of residents who had no family to join them.  Dwane did not thank me for coming, even though it is about 2 hours round trip drive for me, but I hope he did enjoy my being there.  In any case, I went because I felt it was the right thing to do; independent of his reaction.  And, isn't that what volunteering is?  Doing what is the right thing to do to help brighten someone's life, without consideration of being thanked or even having our effort recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment