Aug 2, 2014

Continued Need for Advocacy

  1. Advocacy - definition 
    1. giving aid to cause: active verbal support for a cause or position - Bing dictionary
    Unfortunately, even with paying $8000 per month for compassionate care for my loved one, advocacy is still necessary.  On one day this past week it took me 20 minutes to get someone to come and help him toilet.  I thought perhaps this was an isolated incidence, but when our daughter visited him on another day, the same thing occurred.  So, time for advocacy.  I talked with the head nurse and with the social worker.  They will implement a schedule, every 2 hours, where someone comes to take him to the toilet.  I could not help but point out that with what we are paying I would hope that it is they who would think of the preventative, proactive measures that can be taken.  I told them I want him treated with compassion, I want them to explain to him what they are doing so that he is not afraid, and I want them to consider preventing problems rather then reacting to problems that arise.  To their credit they listened, and there will be a full staff meeting on Monday to discuss the care that all residents deserve.  I am glad that it will be extended to all residents because I have been concerned about those people who do not have someone to advocate for them.  So, the lesson here for us as caregivers:  when we advocate respectfully on behalf of compassionate and competent care for our loved one, others may very well benefit too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment