Aug 28, 2014

Requesting Services

  1. "What you don't know, can't hurt you." common saying

    Actually, what you don't know, can and does hurt you.  This is true in services provided in nursing homes.  Who knew that in order to get more services one has to request them?!@!   How in the world do you request services that you do not know exist?!   I have found since my loved one required the care of a nursing home that he could get more than one shower a week -- if I requested it.  He could get placed in the first sitting for meals so that he had adequate time to eat -- if I requested it.  He could have people monitor his toileting and facilitate his being toileted every 2 hours -- if I requested it.  Thank God for the aides who have mentioned these things to me.  Yesterday one aide told me she thought Dwane would not be so hungry if he was in the first sitting at meals so that he actually had time to eat before they cleared the dining room to ready for the next meal.  God bless her!!!   I immediately requested that he be moved to the first sitting.  The lesson:  let us caregivers not assume things are as presented.  Let's ask what other services are available upon request.  

No comments:

Post a Comment