Aug 15, 2014

What is Possible?

  1. "To believe a thing impossible is to make it so." French proverb

    It is a good practice to consider:  "what is possible?" because our beliefs about what is possible shape the color and content of our lives.  I would not have thought it possible when I married that I would be providing caregiving for several, long years.  Nowadays he is almost entirely in an hallucinatory state.  Yesterday he was scampering in his wheelchair to go see where the car was that a gang had stolen.  Someone asked me recently how much I think I will grieve when he has died.  That is impossible to answer.  There is so much grief along the way, as the person with dementia folds in upon him/herself.  So, within caregiving, what is possible?  It is possible to be serene, to treat the person with dementia respectfully, to create space in one's own life for Life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment