Aug 22, 2014

The Long Road

"When you wish someone joy, you wish them peace, love, prosperity, happiness  . . . all the good things."  Alan Cohen

Caregiving is a long road, and it is fraught with challenges and periods of despair.  During the years that I was providing 24/7 caregiving, I often felt so overwhelmed that I was unable to make use of something I am quite good at:  considering my options.  Therefore, that is a good barometer for me:  if I am unable to see and consider my options, my situation is too restrictive.  I agree that when we wish someone joy, we wish them all good things; and I would add:  that wish has to be directed toward ourselves first.  Selfish?  No, self preserving.  It is too easy to lose oneself in the caregiving task.  Research tells us that about 1/3 of caregivers will die providing the caregiving, and 1/3 will badly damage their own health by caregiving.  That serves no one.  Let us today wish ourselves and everyone else true joy -- knowing that all other good things are included in that wish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment