Sep 21, 2014

Finding Joy

  1. Acts of John
    Jesus danced and said to his disciples, "To the Universe belongs the dancer. He who does not dance does not know what happens."

    I was this week preparing a talk for church on joy, and I was perplexed how difficult a topic it is to present.  I found a lot of research on what people said were tips for creating more joy in your life, but no real examples of joy.  I looked to the bible to find examples of joy being expressed, and they are rare to nonexistent.  It seemed I should be able to find an example of Jesus being joyful, but I could not.  We can find Jesus being learned (teaching rabbis when he is only twelve years old), healing, walking on water, expressing anger when he topples the money changer's tables in the temple, and despairing as he comes to terms with his destiny in the Garden of Gethsemane.  But joy?  Finally, about midnight on a night I was not sleeping well, I remembered the other ancient texts:  The Acts of Philip, the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, and the one quoted above, Acts of John.  These ancient texts present a joyous Jesus, one who was dancing at the Last Supper.  I think it is important to remember and honor that Jesus was joyous, among all the other things He did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment