Jun 12, 2011

Be the change

"We must be the change we wish to see . . . . . " Mahatma Gandhi.

Years ago I was walking with a group of people and we were discussing some social injustice or need for change (I no longer remember what the urgent topic was.).  I said, "Somebody should do something about that."  And a woman walking with us said, "No. We should do something."  I got it.  Easy to say that somebody else should take care of something seen needing to be corrected; harder to take responsibility and do it myself.

So too with self care, especially in stress, such as the stress of being a caregiver for someone with dementia.  Last week a dear friend reflected to me how stressed I seemed to be.  Yes, I knew he was telling me the truth.  How valuable to have friends to tell us how we appear to them!  So, back to looking at what is within my control to change so that I feel less stressed, and letting go of that not in my control.  It is serenity that I seek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment