Jun 18, 2011

New phase

"Drop out of the 'ain't it awful' club," Jack Canfield.

One of the things most difficult for me in this caregiving role is his chronic complaining.  Over nearly everything.  I happen to believe that one's thoughts and conversations create one's life, so it is a challenge for me to deal with such a negative mind set.  That, and, we seem to have taken another dive in functioning.  Much more confusion.  I remember from the past that these sharp declines are an adjustment for me too, so today I strive to be gentle with myself and him as we adjust to what I think is our new 'norm'.  What can I do besides have an intention of gentleness?  I plan to implement more structure.  His most recent complaining has been about the lawn; yet he insists on trying to mow it himself.  It is time to make a different plan, in spite of his wanting to do the yard work.  It seems it is so hard for him (and wouldn't it be for any of us?) to give up the image he has of himself and what he used to be able to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment