Jun 19, 2011

Transitions and stress

"Not in his goals, but in his transitions is man great," Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Having the goal of living with dementia with graciousness helps me to do so.  Having said that, the transitions, especially the steep declines in his functioning, are very stressful for me.  I made the decision to enter a bit of professional life again, and I find that I cannot do that without feeling very stressed.  So, time to regather.  Probably need more assistance around here.  Probably need to release doing some things that are obligations.  I will spend today regathering my strength and implementing a plan for the future.  The level of stress I have felt is very, very harmful for my body.  So, I will make some changes.

What changes can I implement right now?
1.  Recommit to daily exercise which has fallen out of my schedule (in fact, that will be a good indicator of stress for me is to notice when time for exercise falls out of my day). 
2.  Relax, breathe deeply, notice my surroundings.
3.  Let nature revive me, as this morning on my walk:  to notice the exquisite blue of the Robin's eggshell, the yellow sweet peas, and the wild violets.
4.  Cancel any and all unnecessary tasks.
5.  Implement more support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment