Jun 1, 2011

Habitual thoughts

"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind.  To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again . . . . . " Henry David Thoreau.

So true.  And, more evidence that what we think habitually makes us who we are.  Some people seem unaware of what they habitually think.  One way to become aware of what we think is to consciously choose to observe our thoughts off and on; check in with them to see what content is running through our heads.  I know that when I cannot sleep at night it is because I have a running commentary of past events or conversations or visualized future events or conversations.  This is a waste of my thinking time (not to mention my sleeping time).  Having the intention of entertaining only positive, life-supporting thoughts can become a habit.  We tend, as humans, to become more and more of what we develop as characteristics or habits.  These characteristics and habits are within our choice.  Today I choose to think kind and loving thoughts toward myself and others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment