Jun 17, 2011

Rewriting our lives

"There is no script that we must follow in life.  We get to write the story, and if we don't like the one we wrote, we get to rewrite it as many times as we choose," Ron Fox.

What an intriguing idea - that we can rewrite our lives.  A friend told me recently that Michael Beckwith had deliberately created himself and his life story by a purpose he felt from childhood.  So, perhaps it is good practice to consider one's life, and if one does not like what one sees, change it.  How does that fit with being a dementia caregiver, as one of the obstacles for me sometimes is that I feel trapped in this role, with few palatable options.  One thing I think is that one must consider the options.  Using the overworked phrase of "thinking outside the box", one needs to really consider all the options within one's situation.  Then, one chooses a path and chooses how one wants to be while on that path. 

I find it helpful to remind myself that I did choose this.  When we were told the diagnosis, I realized I had several choices; and I chose the one most in alignment with my values.  But, any choice does not lock us into it, we are free to choose anew.  For mental health it is so important to know we have freedom and choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment