Jun 16, 2011

Truth versus myth

"There is a saying that if you repeat something often enough it becomes the truth.  Nothing better illustrates that point than the notion that Social Security will be bankrupted by the boomers," James Roosevelt Jr., grandson of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Most of my life, it seems, I have been warned that Social Security will not be there for me; or if so, surely it will not be there for my children.  The latest edition of AARP, June 2011, has a great article by James Roosevelt, Jr., that disputes that warning.  Mr. Roosevelt contends that the boomers, instead of bankrupting Social Security, have been paying into it since the 1960's.  He says that Social Security is solvent and has enough reserves to pay full benefits until 2036, and then can still pay 77% of the full benefit.  I personally hope Mr. Roosevelt is right. 

This presentation of the "other point of view" is instructive.  It seems to be true that opinions are presented as if they are fact; and, if presented often enough, become believed.  Let us consider that there may be at least two points of view in any given situation.   It is part of my life journey to consider, "What if this is (or is not) true?"  I find it an empowering way to live.  It is freeing to not be locked into fear-based opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment