Jun 9, 2011

Commitment to growth

"To know our true identity destroys the mortal sense of existence which has kept us earthbound," Joseph Goldsmith.

Somehow, and I choose to believe it has been from the grace of God, early on in life I began to realize that experiences I would prefer not to have were going to happen despite my preference, and I realized that I had a choice in how I responded.  It is similar to the old adage, should you spend the next four years getting a degree?  Well, the four years will pass in any event, so what do you want the four years to exemplify or accomplish?  Same approach in this.  This experience that I might have preferred not to have is here; in this case it is a spouse with dementia.  The years will pass and this experience will end -- that is a given.  My only freedom within this is my choice:  How do I want this experience to affect me?  We can be absolutely sure that the experiences or challenges we encounter will change us; the choice for us is how will they change us?  For me, long ago I decided that I would encounter each experience/challenge with the intention of it helping me to become a better, more mature, more evolved and contributing human being.  In what way will your challenges change you?  It is your choice.  It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment