Feb 13, 2015

Forgiveness

Image result for winter nature photos
"Forgiveness does not mean that whatever happened is all right.  Forgiveness is letting go of the hurt and resentment of the situation." Eugene Holden

People sometimes say, 'well, I can forgive, but I will never forget.'  I don't think we are meant to forget -- because then we would not learn the lesson that can be gleaned from the situation. Forgiving just means that something happened, I don't like it, but I do accept it happened.  I remember hearing Oprah say that forgiving was giving up the hope that the past would be different, and I think that is a remarkable way to think of it -- because, in our unforgiving, aren't we wanting the past to be different so that we are not hurt?  As caregivers, we will be hurt by other family members, by the care receiver and by our own actions or inactions.  It is important to forgive.  Ourselves and all others.  What if, for today, we chose to believe that all people are doing the best they can do in their situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment